Saturday, October 12, 2013

The third week in my Family Relations class, we discussed the impact of social class and culture on the family. In preparation for class, I watched a video in which a single mother who had a minimum wage job tried to provide the best for her children. The family was very poor and I thought it was particularly interesting that the mother said, "it's not my fault I'm poor, I grew up poor." This statement seemed like the mother's excuse in a way, she was using the reason of growing up poor as the result of her current situation, while this could have had an impact, there were other contributing factors to her situation. In my class, we also discussed that culture and where you come from contributes more to your family than the social class you're in.

1 comment:

  1. You mentioned that you thought the women in the video was giving an excuse concerning her current situation, how do you believe individuals can rise above their situations? If one is born poor they often have a very difficult experience seeking to improve their social class, why is this so? How are families influenced by social classes? From your experience, do you believe our society will ever be socially and economically unified?

    ReplyDelete